Thursday, May 23, 2013

DIY Mini Buddy Burner or Mini Survival Candle




Last week in one of my videos on the wax covered wood chip fire starter I had mentioned about using empty tea light candle cups for a mini Buddy Burner or survival candle. Since then I've had a number of people ask me if I would show and explain what I meant by that.

So in todays video I plan of showing what I make them from and how I make them, plus show a little video of how they burn. It seem that the mini burner I picked had a bit of a leak. Just goes to show why you have a be careful with all fires.


The mini burner is made from:
one empty tea light cup
piece of corrugated cardboard to fit your tea light cup. Mine was .82" (2cm) x 4.5" (11.6cm).
and some wax



I show how I melt wax using a mug warmer and a can. The size of can depends on how much wax you need to melt. I like using the mug warmer to melt wax because it safely melts the wax and keeps it melted without much fuss or muss.

The weight of this Mini Buddy Burner was .65 ounces (18.4 grams) and burned for almost twentyseven minutes. They usually burn a little longer than that but the wax that leaked out cut the time short.



Also I explain in the video that I only use one ring of cardboard in these mini burners because the flame seems to only burn on the outside edge anyway. Using only on ring leaves you more space for wax.

Hopefully this video explains what I meant by the Mini Buddy Burner and how I make them.

Thank you for watching my videos,
Hiram


No comments:

Post a Comment